June 20, 2012

Reader Radar #8

Publisher:     Danielle Peterson (March 7, 2012)
Medium:       Kindle

Goodreads Synopsis:
The Duck And The Doe is the tale of two immortal beings whose eternal love has soured a bit in the last two centuries. Written as memoir by the "hero," this novella is a musing on both what love is and how much America has changed since the early 19th century. The first volume deals with both the supernatural and the racism of the old American south. Told with humor and passion (and the occasional rant) the story of these strong characters, including a wealthy young lawyer and a clever courtsean, will change your idea of what "love forever'' really means.



Oh how I loved Our Blissful Bayou Beginnings!
First of all, how can you turn something away that has alliteration in the title?  I mean, that right there should put this toward the top of your reading list.  I love anything set in the South, because, well, even though I was born in Northern New York, I have lived in the South for close to 30 years now, and consider myself a Southerner.  This 70 page novella took me a mere 45 minutes to get through, so what better way to spend your lunch hour or wait for your orthopedic surgeon?  That is another great reason to put this on a to-read list, like toward the top. Just do it!
I actually put off reading this for a few weeks, as I got caught up in some other books and I’ve been forgetting to bring my Kindle to work with me.  I’m not going to let this happen to me again.

Danielle Peterson really brought Remi to life right from the first paragraph, which is a poor choice of words considering his issues.  I loved his bitter and condescending tone.  I loved how he was totally over being undead and quite frankly sick of today’s youth and how easy they have it.  I love how she brought the time period to life and as a reader I really felt like I was in another era.

Our Blissful Bayou Beginnings was full of description, full of wonder, and a full on love story. It tells of truly how much Remi truly loved his Ma Bichette, and what lengths he would go to in order to keep that love “alive”.  Ms. Peterson really put me, the reader, into a position to cheer on what might be considered a not so wholesome of a character.

Danielle Peterson is definitely on my Reader Radar this week!  I can’t wait to find out what happens next to the duck and the doe.  As for Remi, well, he complained about never being invited to dinner parties…I’d totally invite him and Ma Bichette!

Danielle Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment